pack pages

Resources
explore OOC Members Search Calendar Open Threads
guide Guidebook/Rules Biology Stars Sparring & Judging System
statistics Points History Cradle - Grave Legends Char. Contest
references Religion Hunting Healing & Herbs Prize Page Staff Donate
Open Cbox
Disclaimer
By using the chatbox you agree to the rules described on the Rules page under the Chatbox section. Have fun. :)

doutaini map

Map of Doutaini

Credits
Summer Icon © KennaLeeStratton
Current Layout Image © Sea
Map Drawing © Doodle
Coding © Tempy & Doutaini Staff
Original Content © Kaji & Crux
Characters © Their respective writers

Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)
accio, asceo
Posted 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM |
Briar
Spirit
Male, 3.50
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
The thick forest of Kaede was alive this morning. Briar had woken early in the morning to start his adventure, but had found himself easily distracted. He lay curled against a rather large fallen tree, his back to it as he faced a babbling brook like five or so feet in front of him. He'd been there awhile, so long that the animals had begun to ignore him. His head was upright as his fire and ice eyes never stopped moving, his breathing steady and deliberate. A few birds would land on the wood next to him, hop to stare at him before recognizing him as a living creature and flying off again. This would continue on for awhile before they would just decide it was OK. Briar could merely think of how easy it would have been to snatch it up now in it's stupidity. Was this what separated predator from prey? His eyes would flit from the birds to the creatures that gathered at the brook. His eyes would focus on a distinctive stark creature.

It's coat was nothing like a wolf's, but they were similar in build save for being smaller. Foxes were common of course, but they tended to avoid wolves. Briar still remains still as he watches it lap at the water and he has the sudden urge to summon a vine to spring from the depths of the water to spook it, but he resists. His thoughts suddenly turn to his wolves mainly of those who had bore witness to Kaede's actions. Briar wasn't sure how he felt about it. He had noticed that the child's scent no longer lingered and this would weigh heavily on him, but he learned he would never try that again. I deserve damnation. I don't deserve to be king. I don't deserve them.

for Asceo

Briar's tail was broken and it hangs limp two inches from the tip.

Posted 04-23-2017, 04:06 AM | This post was last modified: 04-23-2017, 04:08 AM by Asceo
Earth ( Staff )
Asceo
Earth Healer
Female, 3.00
Meso-runner
33 in, 110 lbs
225 ep
© Intricate

Autumn had finally settled into Doutaini. Asceo could feel the brisk breeze ruffling her fur, a refreshing coolness brushing through her dark brown pelt. Summer had finally waned and she welcomed the change of weather. As she padded through the Gaia, she neared the temple, and unsurprisingly, Briar's fresh authoritative smell ran over her scent glands as it was carried by the meandering wind. Her paws turned to follow it, though she didn't have to go far. He lay nearby just a short lope away. As she approached, she lowered her eyes. She hadn't spoken to Briar since the day he had brought the dying pup into Earth's territory. For all his good intentions of saving the tiny scrap, it was a newborn without a mother, and Earth didn't have a nursing teat to offer it the life that even Kaede himself had claimed for the pup.

It had been cowardly of her to run from all of them, but there was nothing she could have done for the little one. The nearest territories in any direction would have been too harsh and far a journey for it. It had been destined to die; whether on the arduous trek to Enigma's caverns, in the insane paws of Muramura or her other ally, both no older than pups themselves, or to the milk-barren bellies of Earth's she-wolves. Perhaps Kaede had intended to lead the pathetic creature into the skies with him, and that was why he had staked such a loud, commanding claim.

The gods confused Asceo, thoroughly. But what was life without a little mystery? If she were not cunning enough to solve it herself, then she would at least work tirelessly to unravel Doutaini's secrets. However far she had traveled, and dreamed of traveling still, this land was engorged with magic energy, the gods' influence so powerful that here they could walk the earth itself.

Since her arrival: she had seen a blasphemer's tongue branded for challenging gods he did not believe in, at an event held in their honor no less, forever unable to speak should pain spill from his mouth instead (rumor had it that he died not long after, perhaps he had been unable to eat); a blessing bestowed while a curse had been given; a feast that was prepared by the gods themselves, full of creatures she could not name, including an unnatural, strange turtle-rodent; the same god who struck down the speaker of sacrilege, also bestowed a wild hunting tournament for wolves of all beliefs–two gifts had been given by Keitaro, though the balance of them she dared not question; an irresistible goddess' song that influenced her heart, even now, to beckon her closer to Keston; even Kaede had showed his presence, once in hers, to claim the hotly contested newborn pup.

The innocent pup. Sadness filled her breast and overtook her thoughts, deeper than she understood, as if instinct demanded that she should protect it. But how could she? It was dead, hadn't lived to see its first sunrise or drink its first drop of life from a mother's belly. But that didn't matter now, what Briar had done didn't matter now. That newborn was destined for failure to survive the challenges of the wilds. For whatever reason its mother had abandoned it. And I would never make such a disgusting mistake!

Asceo stopped dead in her tracks, breath caught in her throat. Why should she care so strongly? She had felt something alluring for Keston, against her better judgement. And they would never have pups of their own for her to care for. The Water pack alpha? Briar would sink his teeth so deep into her throat that she'd feel them in her spine. With an inward shudder, she hoped that Briar would never find out about the night they had spent together under Kaiyo's spell. Asceo resolved to break it off with Keston, though her heart ached for him, his touch, and his warmth. It was not to be, she told herself firmly. He's from a rival pack and Briar demanded loyalty above all else. She felt torn–it would be far easier to reject Keston, to remove him from her life, as she had always done with any who threatened to truly befriend her–yet she longed for him, yearned for his fondness and closeness.

How far would she be willing to go to be with him? Asceo couldn't possibly betray the pack who had accepted her, but what ties did she truthfully have in Earth? Oziaz had been tracing her pawsteps, licentious and unapologetic in his flirting, unaware that her desire belonged to another. He was unnecessary, an easily severed tie. Waeryness? Anger almost curled her lip. The old healer was practically on her death bed, yet she was remiss in her duty to train a new healer in her place, even commanded by Briar himself that she should mentor her. A tie that had never been knotted. But she did love the earth itself, her powers granted by Kaede's magic, the connection to the dirt and plants and life itself. It hummed throughout her body in the heartbeat of the ground. How could she abandon the element that she felt so strongly connected to?

Asceo finally shook herself from the depths of her thoughts as she realized that Briar had not moved a hair on his pelt from where he lay curled at the base of the tree, save for flickering red and blue eyes that seemed to overflow with grief. It appeared that she was not the only one who was bothered by the newborn's inevitable death.

"…Briar?" she offered gently, her voice hardly more than hushed tones. "I am sorry for the way I reacted to you, back when–" she trailed off, unwilling to mention the pup directly to her alpha. "Back when I challenged your authority," she finished. Asceo's voice shook faintly beneath her quiet words, full of emotion. "Whatever it is that you are thinking to yourself, if I may again, be bold, it was not your fault. Decisions were made, but what's done is done. Learn from it, but do not dwell. Your pack needs you."

She hoped she had not overstepped her boundaries again. To irk his ire a second time on such a sensitive subject would not be good for her standing within the pack, but she could not ignore the broken-hearted wolf, regardless of his status. Despite the shock the pack had felt at the tumultuous scene, no doubt that Briar had felt their feelings ten-fold and mirrored their sharpest edges into himself. She dipped her head respectfully and backed away to sit a few tail-lengths away from Briar to await any punishment should he deign it.

for Briar. 1131 words. "speech".

notes: Feel free to skim a good chunk of it. It was for a little character development and playing with writing style. It was also written at 2am, so if it's horribly disorganized and doesn't connect my thoughts very well, I'm so sorry.

Asceo approaches troubled Briar, her mind working furiously through her experiences in Doutaini thus far as well as what happened the day the pup was fought for. She offers Briar comfort and encouragement, knowing she risks getting her fur clawed off, and sits near him, to await his response and possible punishment for overstepping her boundaries with him once again.

Thread Tracker
Graphic Storage
Studio
Coven of Witches/Healers

Posted 04-23-2017, 01:37 PM |
Briar
Spirit
Male, 3.50
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
His ears flicker with her approach. The birds flitted off and the fox immediately scattered, but Briar didn't move. His gaze seemed locked on something imaginable and he hadn't known who it was that approached him, though anyone should have known better than to attack him. Would he have fought back? His name is what makes him turn, unblinking towards her. His ears fold and finally he blinks offering a light smile. He would never be mad at his wolves for voicing their opinion. Sure he had an attitude and maybe in the moment he was a heated beast, but it showed their spirit. If he was never questioned, this wouldn't be a good pack. He'd be a tyrant. "No.", he is quick to try and intercept her, but she continues and he feels worse for treating her that way. "You have every right to challenge me. If you didn't...it would make you sheep. I guess it's what separates us from prey. I'm an angry thing is all, my people were being threatened and it was my fault.", he admits, nodding. What's done is done, but he still felt like shit about it. She offers some advice and it helps and suddenly he feels bad that he hadn't tried to speak to her sooner. Though, he had noticed Wærnyss' scarcity and Asceo's devotion. "Thank you, Asceo. If you would like, I would love for you to become our healer." His gaze had focused on the babbling water but now shifted towards Asceo with a smile. He meant it. She held the drive and the passion for it. If she still wanted to remain in Earth. If she wished to go elsewhere, we'll that was OK too.

He shifts against his limbs, awaiting judgement in his solace. "There is something I've been waiting to show you, though others may have already told you." He chuckles, he'd been childish in his antics. He wanted them to show their knowledge before learning of their magics. Plus, Life was no joke the worst of their abilities it would seem. His lips curl and his teeth show as his hackles bristle and he lashes out at his right front paw. There is a serious gash that appears and immediately begins to bleed with an immense amount of pain. His eyes focus on Asceo, attempting to reassure her as he focuses on his wound. Life is called upon in efforts to knit back his flesh and it works. By Kaede's magic, he is healed and left with no scarring. However, the severe cramping in his stomach is enough to make him keel over. Talons grip the earth and he grows tired, but he was still learning. "It is the most draining of our powers and it saps the life out of you. The bigger the wound the harder it is...I tried to revive a stillborn with it...but we are not gods.", he huffs gently tail flopping. He wasn't sure if she had grown enough to use the power, but he would reveal it to her nonetheless, "I recommend it only for emergencies. As our powers literally poison us and I'm sure you can do a lot more with herbs." He is quick to warn her, because he didn't want her just going around healing minor cuts and suddenly winding up dead or something. He'd rather be the one to do that.

""

for Asceo

Posted 05-10-2017, 01:42 AM | This post was last modified: 05-10-2017, 01:42 AM by Asceo
Earth ( Staff )
Asceo
Earth Healer
Female, 3.00
Meso-runner
33 in, 110 lbs
225 ep
© Intricate

"You have every right to challenge me. If you didn't…it would make you sheep. I guess it's what separates us from prey. I'm an angry thing is all, my people were being threatened and it was my fault," Briar admitted, still staring past her at the small stream.

Asceo flicked her ears in surprise. This wasn't at all the enraged reception that she'd been expecting. She remained still and she let him continue without speaking herself.

"Thank you, Asceo," he turned his gaze back to her, and the fire had returned into his bi-colored eyes. "If you would like, I would love for you to become out healer."

Asceo's eyes widened. What about Waernyess? Her lack of training? She hesitated, unsure if she really deserved the position, had earned it. But who was she to deny Briar's will? If he believed she could handle the promotion in rank, then she would be confident in her abilities to serve him and their pack.

She bowed her head, deeply appreciative of his gesture. "I accept, with much gratitude. I will see to it that I learn quickly to meet the needs of our packmates. Thank you, Briar." Her amber eyes were shining brightly. Asceo was finally a healer!

Briar chuckled to himself before continuing, "There is something I've been waiting to show you, though others may have already told you."

She cocked her head questioningly as he bared his teeth with hackles bristling. Asceo forced herself to stay still as he tore open his front paw with his sharp fangs. Blood pooled from the gash, but Briar's unwavering gaze remained focused on Asceo to reassure her. She nodded slightly to show that she understood. He shuddered with an effort that she couldn't see. Briar was calling upon Kaede's magic. She watched in fascination as the flesh knitted itself back together; clean, unmarked with no sign of the wound that had been there only heartbeats ago. Briar swayed on his feet and Asceo rushed to his side to support his weight should he need it.

He sounded tired as he finally explained. "It is the most draining of our powers and it saps the life out of you. The bigger the wound the harder it is…"

Asceo murmured in understanding. So this was life, the next power for her to master. Even as Briar stood panting from exhausting his energy, her paws tingled with anticipation. With luck, she wouldn't need the practice, but it was only a matter of time before she would need to reverse fate itself to save another's life.

"I recommend it only for emergencies," he warned, confirming her suspicions that it was only for dire need. "As our powers literally poison us and I'm sure you can do a lot more with herbs."

"I understand, thank you for showing me. I will use it with care," she replied sagely.

With a mischievous grin to replace her seriousness, she shot a playful look at Briar. "As your healer, I recommend that you drink some water and rest. You were almost shaking like a leaf."
She snorted, "Or shall I fetch it for you?"

Asceo meant no offense and wagged her tail to make it clear that she was mostly kidding. Although if he asked, she would absolutely go get it for him.

for Briar. 553 words. "speech".

notes: Sorry for the wait!

Thread Tracker
Graphic Storage
Studio
Coven of Witches/Healers

Posted 05-16-2017, 10:07 AM |
Briar
Spirit
Male, 3.50
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
She was professional in her response and it pulls at the right side of his lips in a smirk. Even as he ripped himself apart in front of her, she held a sense of professionalism. This time he used himself instead of the other person when displaying these effects. Memories of the SDF with Wærnyss flood his mind. Asceo supports Briar's side and he smiles gently as she scolds him, his eyes flitting to the brook in front of them. He lingers only to move forward and take giant gulps from it. The coolness of the liquid was enough to quell the uneasiness. Shaking like a life? His has this odd idea to use frenzy plant to make a leaf dance in her face, but he refrains for now. "Asceo.", he says gently, almost like a whisper, "Are their any herbs to help with our side effects? To calm nausea or dwindle poison?" His mind drifts to Berlioz's warning, every time he used his powers he could only think of how it was possibly killing him. "I met a spirit of an old King here. He said to be careful with our powers, I think it might have been what killed him.", he offers, eyes trailing the white froth of the water that rushed in front of him. Maybe it would at least make Asceo think twice about using life willy nilly. His people were his life.

""

for Asceo

short x.x

Posted 05-17-2017, 01:43 AM |
Earth ( Staff )
Asceo
Earth Healer
Female, 3.00
Meso-runner
33 in, 110 lbs
225 ep
© Intricate

Briar grinned at her playful jeering before steadying himself against her side. It didn't take long for him to regain his stance and he walked over to the brook to drink thirstily. His throat must be burning from the acid. It was a feeling that she was beginning to know well, but she couldn't stop practicing with her powers. All she could do was bear through the pain and develop a tolerance to its nasty side effects.

As he walked back over to her, he whispered, eyes hoping for an answer, "Asceo, are there any herbs to help with our side effects? To calm nausea or dwindle poison?"

She sighed, feeling less than useful. "There are herbs for nausea, but an antidote to poison inflicted by magic that only gods could understand? I'd be lucky to ever discover a cure, and I'm sure if I did, I might not live long to tell about it. I doubt the gods would be very happy if a wolf was spreading knowledge that the side effects of an element could be negated."

Even so, that didn't mean she couldn't try to ease their pain.

Briar continued, "I met a spirit of an old King here. He said to be careful with our powers, I think it might have been what killed him."

Asceo nodded with a grunt of acknowledgement. It was all the more reason for her to continue her training.

"Briar, will you agree to teach me our power? I may now be a healer, but as an Earth wolf, I need to master our element."

for Briar. 264 words. "speech".

notes: Don't even worry about a short post Penn <3

Thread Tracker
Graphic Storage
Studio
Coven of Witches/Healers

Posted 06-01-2017, 06:10 AM |
Briar
Spirit
Male, 3.50
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
Briar laughed, eyes turning on Asceo lightly, "Well yeah...I didn't mean a cure." He lingers in his thoughts for a moment. "I just meant...something. That would prolong the inevitable." He turns solemn then, his mind turning to the warnings and the possibilities. Perhaps he shouldn't have focused so much on the "what-if's". Though he couldn't help that. There was a spirit in their forest that warned them of it so...it was sort of impossible. They lay in silence for a bit and Briar enjoys it. There were next to no times that he found himself in another's company without a specific reason. You came together, got stuff done, and departed. However, the silence is broken with Asceo's wish. "Of course I will.", he would dip his muzzle gently, proudly as his tail thumped against the ground. "Did you mean now...or like later?", he asked with a laugh.

for Asceo

Posted 06-19-2017, 12:54 AM |
Earth ( Staff )
Asceo
Earth Healer
Female, 3.00
Meso-runner
33 in, 110 lbs
225 ep
© Intricate

Her alpha lay in silence with her briefly, and she reveled in it with him. It was a rare moment of calm in the Gaia; Asceo was determined to indulge in it. Eventually he replies, with a dip of his muzzle in approval, "Of course I will." And then: "Did you mean now…or like later?"

Asceo grinned with a leap to her feet, exuberant to accept his offer, but then her tail drooped as her legs swayed under her, followed by a wave of nausea. She stumbled hard over an upturned root, sending her tumbling. Instinctively she drew upon Kaede's power to soften her fall with a sudden growth of ferns and soft, thick moss, that sprang up from under the grass with a flurry. She grunted as the ground raced up to meet her jaw with a loud smack, and pain lanced up her muzzle. Stunned, Asceo lay on the ground, panting hard, feeling more nauseas than ever from the use of her magic. She closed her eyes and mentally scanned her body for injuries, and finding none other than the bruise that would surely form on her face, let herself wallow in the embarrassment of tripping in front of her pack leader.

for Briar. 204 words. "speech".

notes: FINALLY got a reply in! So sorry, will be picking up the pace now that finals are two days from being finished.

Thread Tracker
Graphic Storage
Studio
Coven of Witches/Healers

Posted 06-21-2017, 02:10 PM |
Briar
Spirit
Male, 3.50
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
Asceo's suddenly movements make Briar's hackles bristle as his eyes widen on Asceo. Exhuberant, but too much so it would seem. She falters and Briar is on his feet as he watches ferns blossoms beneath her, cushioning her. Interesting. He had never thought of that. It is an idea he stows away for later—he was sure it would come in handy eventually. "Shit, Asceo! Are you alright?", he immediately yells. He hadn't used profanities in a while, but it had slipped. He moves to help her onto her feet, unsure that they should practice anything now. "Erm...let's do it later, you need rest.", he muses before chuckling, "As your alpha I command it." He had mimicked her words to him before, though more demanding than hers had been. He moves to brush his nose against her cheek lightly, waiting for her to stabilize and offering to get her off somewhere to sleep. He would make sure she was taken care of before he left her though. These wolves were going to be the death of him.

for Asceo, figured we could end it here and do another one eventually?

Posted 06-24-2017, 02:20 AM |
Earth ( Staff )
Asceo
Earth Healer
Female, 3.00
Meso-runner
33 in, 110 lbs
225 ep
© Intricate

"Shit, Asceo! Are you alright?" Briar rushed to her side, helping her to her feet.

He examined her briefly, but besides her wounded pride, he would find no injuries. "Let's do it later, you need rest," Briar finally says. With a chuckle he adds, "As your alpha I command it."

Asceo gave him a sheepish grin in return. She knew he was mostly joking, but his authority couldn't be dismissed by his tone that suggested his jest was, in fact, a command.

Briar brushed his nose against her cheek and felt him guide her forward for a moment. "Thank you, Briar. I'll be in my den," she murmured. Asceo felt the exhaustion laden in her paws as she walked carefully back to her sleeping place. As she wriggled into her nest of ferns tucked comfortably between a set of bushes, Asceo curled her tail over her nose and drifted happily into sleep.

for Briar. 152 words. "speech".

notes: Sounds good!

Thread Tracker
Graphic Storage
Studio
Coven of Witches/Healers