welcome,
MAIN MENU
Season & Time

Winter
November 18th - December 29th

pack pages

                       

Resources
explore OOC Members Search Calendar Open Threads
guide Guidebook/Rules Biology Stars Sparring & Judging System
statistics Points History Cradle - Grave Legends Char. Contest
references Religion Hunting Healing & Herbs Prize Page Staff Donate
Open Cbox
Disclaimer
By using the chatbox you agree to the rules described on the Rules page under the Chatbox section. Have fun. :)

doutaini map

Map of Doutaini

Credits
Winter Icon © kaiathedragon13
Current Layout Image © Riv
Map Drawing © Doodle
Coding © Tempy & Doutaini Staff
Original Content © Kaji & Crux
Characters © Their respective writers

Pages (2): 1 2 Next »
Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)
need !
Posted 03-11-2017, 09:21 PM |
Briar
Spirit
Male, 4.25
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
↣ ♕ ↢
His stomach is cramped, he shouldn't have moved so quickly after using erosion and Briar found the world spinning about him as he rushed to get back to the gaia. He wondered what those others wolves were gonna do, what they thought as he took the child from him. That one child had laid claim to her, but Briar didn't like that. Why didn't he like that? Enigma was beginning to get under his skin, they just took and claimed and it didn't seem right. Of course, now he had stooped to their level. He leaned against a tree with a huff, the small thing dangling in his jaws. Surprisingly, he had been gentle with it. Could he be gentle? His stomach ached, but he pushed himself off the tree carefully to keep going, easily crossing from mud to thick foliage and the humidity clung to him awkwardly as he moved further in land. He was somewhere between the island and the temple when he stopped.

He'd huff and move to place Wolf down as he curled against her from, she would be enveloped in him, but he knew he couldn't give her what a mother could. Immediately Briar throws his muzzle to the skies to summon the women of his pack. Maybe his mother could help. They needed to act quick.

""
BRIAR
background from Harbard1


Asceo Meliae Aurelia Sarawak Wærnyss Estelle Karousel Rose

tagging the ladies. follows this THREAD where briar takes an infant child, Wolf.

Briar's tail was broken and it hangs limp two inches from the tip.










Posted 03-11-2017, 11:07 PM |
Sarawak
Unregistered
,
in, lbs
ep
© 
Doing this and that around the Gaia, Sarawak was mostly just cleaning up her den area. Fixing a caved in wall of dirt, and keeping herself busy that way. However, all that stopped when she heard a call from Briar. Head lifting she returned his howl with one of her own to say she was coming. Moving quickly the girl made haste for it sounded like he had called with real need. Worried floated her as she hoped he was alright. Twisting and turning about the trees she made her way and with one more turn of a corner she was there. Her eyes scanned him for signs of injury, but what she saw surprised her. A child. A young child. Worry floated her even more as she ran closer. "Briar. What? Where is the mother?" Her words where soft as she came to a stop.

ooc: Let me know if I read your post wrong. I have been out of town all day and I am quiet tired.










Posted 03-12-2017, 12:16 AM |
Murmura
Rogue Wolf
Female, 2.50
Endomorph
34 [a] in, 121 [a] lbs
85 ep
© Mkohy
M U R M U R A

A growl tumbled from her throat as her limbs slowed, adrenaline shaking her body as her lips curled back. "How dare you." She spat, chest rising and falling as her eyes turned to slits. "Give. Me. My. Daughter." The goddess, stood livid, eyes burning and ears pulling against her divine cranium. She pulled her legs apart and lowered herself. "She is mine." She murmured, completely ignoring the female near as her focus stood on the supposed alpha. Of course, Murmura wasn't foolish enough to fight the man alone, if at all, but she wanted what was her's, so with her head threw back and a howl rang out from the depths of her throat, pulling through the air for her dragon, demanding his presence. Slowly, as the call ended she looked to Briar and with a hiss, she concluded. "And I'm taking her back."

"speak"

BriarRyu BADDD POST IM SORRY










Posted 03-12-2017, 01:21 AM |
Ryu
Rogue Wolf
Male, 3.75
Meso-fighter
35 in, 125 lbs
39 ep
© sea
SHE WHO ASKS WILL RECEIVE
the dragon responds with surprising speed, slipping into existence almost immediately. he slides through the shadows of the forest, serpentine creature, beast slipped into manskin. his scales provide a distinctive shimmer against the faded forest drawl. he has heard of this place. who hasn't ? the words, the rumors, the whispers, the jokes. wolves who enveloped their lives in plants. he weaves through the thick brush like he was born for it, maneuvering seamlessly. his steps slow as voices filter through the leaves. he creeps forward, skull kept low and parallel to his spine. his teeth flash up in a preliminarily curious grin. it dissipates before he peels back from the brush to find the source of his call. he is wordless as he moves forward. steps are calculating, eyes quickly analyzing the fullness of the situation. murmura need not even give verbal orders. that which she initiates, he follows. the great serpent is silent as he situates himself beside her. he lowers his body, spacing out his limbs and peeling back his ears against his skull. his war mask erupts from his scaly features, drawing forward creased wrinkles and a scrunched up nose. lips unveil their lethal payload, and jaws open. chin tucks downward, tongue retreating to its safe zone. eyes do not narrow yet, to keep mura within his peripheral vision for when she gave orders. his hackles flare up in a fiery display, tail pointing rigidly straight back. azure eyes keep cautious, flickering between his opposition and murmura. he takes little note of the situation nor its content. he need only suit up and deliver his force

Briar











Posted 03-12-2017, 07:19 AM |
Aurelia
Unregistered
,
in, lbs
ep
© 
She was on her feet the moment her son called. It was urgent so she was quick to answer. Yet as she weaved through the trees aiming for the position she heard the call she could smell two more wolves. They were not pack and it immediately raised her suspicions. Aurelia came finding her son curled around something and found Sarawak as well. That was all well and good if it weren't for the two baboons as well. Aurelia's hackles rose immediately, flaring in pointed aggression as she came forward. Her head lowered immediately and she took a defensive stance between her son and the bitch. "You are far away from home child. Get. Out. Before I give enigma your head." She spat venom her eyes narrowed and glinting at the man as well. How dare they come here and talk about taking a babe. Aurelia's ears flicked toward Sarawak before narrowing to her skull, she could not move her eyes from these two.

"Get the infant some place warm, into a den. Make sure it is resting comfortably, it needs a nursing mother immediately or it will die." Aurelia said directing the information toward both her son and the earth hunter. She would even her stance, tail rising to display her dominance. She would part her jaws, lips curling in a vicious snarl. "Last chance." She would issue, toes splayed to grasp the soft dirt beneath her. Her gem would glow to display her might, this was her home she had the upper hand and Aurelia would give her life to protect her pack. She would do anything to keep her son and her family safe, so she stood - the amazon ready to kill these mongrels if need be. With that her head would move a little farther down to come at an equal height with her spine, jaw remaining parted to guard her throat. Eyes glistened through narrowed eyes like chips of cold ice. Ears remained folded to her skull and she would bend her hind legs slightly, putting pressure on her hind muscles, bunching them up so she was ready to spring.

Aurelia vs Ryu & Murmura
Rounds 0 out of 3 or 5? (7 Days to respond)
For Trespassing, maiming - throwing out of packland.
Elements Yes (173 EP)
Full Dodge unused
Good Health (Summer)
Mesomorph / 31" / 109 lbs.
3 Wins / 4 Losses

Ooc. Sorry for lack of prettiness and possible misspellings, writing this on a tablet on a train, but I just HAD to get her here <3 I also sadly can't tag people >.<










Posted 03-12-2017, 10:57 AM |
Artemis
Unregistered
,
in, lbs
ep
© 
o god
‹ ※ ›

  Artemis had followed the girl, right here in the home of Earth. She had followed the trail to danger. And she was so hesitant of crossing those borders, but what now? She had crossed them, and she was confident of the consequences that would affect her. She sees the girl, defying the fact that the man had already taken the pup. She just would not back down, would she? She could feel the immediate suspense that resided in the air, the tension pulling at her. Another wolf stood at what seemed loyal to her, a pale coat, except for his muzzle, which stood definitely darker than the rest of his lighter coat. 3 wolves of earth. She couldn't help but feel a little intimidated by the adults, yet she would stand tall. One Earth she-wolf was ready to fight. Her spine tingles with a dangerous excitement, Artemis knew she was delving into trouble the moment she stepped into those pits. She inhaled a deep breath, taking a whiff of the nature earth has given, and it was definitely prominent here. It was a brawl indeed. After some observing, she would do the same stance as the other wolves, pushing her ears against her skull and bringing her body closer to the ground, hind legs spread apart, a little bent. Her lips are turned into a snarl, nose wrinkling upon her face. She made sure to copy the other wolves' same positions, so she wouldn't seem so inexperienced. Yet the girl was very inexperienced in the world of fighting. Her tail is tucked in defensively, pressing up to her stomach. Though she may have forgotten to narrow those eyes of hers. She hoped the would suffice, and Artemis would help the duo if needed. She brought herself into this mess, the least she could do was offer help.










Posted 03-12-2017, 12:01 PM |
Earth (Site Helper)
Meliae
Earth Scion
Female, 4.25
Ectomorph
38 in, 94 lbs
22 ep
© tig

verdure and vine froth at her footsteps, body revealed by a shift of bough that gives no real indication of how long she had paused before entrance. there is a sudden roar -- a ripple of noise from behind the trio of interlopers that rips through the air and attempts to tear eyes from the form of aurelia and sarawak, encouraging the women to take action - whatever that may be - as she herself prowls into the clearing. from the scene and briar's call, she is aware enough of the situation: she must protect. protect her king and the babe that nestles somewhere among them. she can smell it -- young and starving -- for she is a woman, and kaede had blessed her animal heart with a sense for children at least. conan is one of her few weaknesses, though the boy could care for himself without her help.

she is unsure if the child is theirs, only knowing that it is does not belong to ice or enigma. 'i claim the child for kaede.' irrevocable -- necklace or no, the babe belonged to the bearking now. with each word, a steely defense is locked into place: her stance lowers upon flexed limbs, feet threaded apart to offer a wide base even as her talons work among the roots and growths. she narrows her eyes, presses her lips back from the lengths of teeth and allows features to furrow into a fearsome snarl. already, the princess thrives with raised strands, tail thrown upwards in a clear sign of dominance even as her head dips towards her chest. those vivid eyes would scan the three youths, finally settling on the young ice pup that appears far less sure of herself. 'flee; we are not kind to those that threaten what is ours. children cannot claim children -- they barely know life, themselves.' there is a distance of four or so feet between them, but it could be easily overcome with only a moment's notice. the narrow of those brilliant eyes are merciless -- it is only the diplomatic influence of her peers that holds her in check.

meliae enters from behind, attempting to distract the intruders with a loud entrance and by formally claiming Wolf, whether Briar has or not. reasons with Artemisx.










Posted 03-15-2017, 08:59 AM | This post was last modified: 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM by Briar
Briar
Spirit
Male, 4.25
Meso-fighter
35 in, 130 lbs
534 ep
© Penn
MATURE LANGUAGE

↣ ♕ ↢
Meso-Fighter. 35 inches. 130 pounds. Good Health.


Sarawak is the first to arrive, diligent as ever. A smile creases his lips, but he is still regaining himself. His ears flick and before he can say anything she is there, on his land, so plainly trespassing. There was no mistaking it. They were near the center of the Gaia, she'd have to be a fucking idiot, which he didn't doubt she wasn't now. His hackles immediately raise and he tenses, there is a deep part of him that immediately wants to devour her throat. She's trespassing. Wait, reason with her. You're an alpha now. Slowly he breathed a mantra, trying to contain himself. It is when Ryu appears his lips curl and fangs immediately flash. His eyes dilate and he nearly forgets the bundle at his breast. They were stupid enough to trespass on Kaede's land, they were stupid enough to attack him. However, he attempts to remain on the ground, to still himself from battering them. It wasn't worth it. They'd rather kill a child. His teeth are clenched and he tastes blood from his tongue. He hasn't felt rage like this since he was a boy. One....

His mother is there and he doesn't remember how, she is there and there is a flicker of a smirk. As always, her words say everything he feels he cannot. Perhaps he should stop thinking he cannot say these things. He was king, wasn't he? There is a growl that echoes from his trees as he stares at the both of them. The enigma bitch, he couldn't kill without consequence, however...her rogue friend. Then, the ice bitch. In truth, Briar's patience was wearing thin, he was ready just to toss the child to her and let her suffer it's death. Truly, it could not make it to Enigma, it was on the other side of the world. Of course the children would stand together to face them and Briar almost begs it. To finally show the world Earth was no silent peace-loving hippie pack. He was dying to send them crying home. Realistically, he knew he didn't need to do this. For Kaede, for Earth.

'i claim the child for kaede.', it is her voice that ignites the fire in him and it is done. No longer was it his to give back to them, it was Meliae's and now the child was one of Earth's and Briar would kill for a member of his pack. He rises, carefully to keep the child protected, "Sara, if you please.", he commands her to shelter the child, to perhaps take it deeper in their realm, to a den. He moves to position himself to the left side of his mother, facing them with spaced limbs that were bent slightly to hunker him to his jungle. He knew the jungle like they didn't. The curvatures, the vines that stood up, desperate to trip up those who were not careful. His head is lowered, parallel to his spine, hackles still furrowed. His muzzle is lowered, dipped downward and parted slightly as it remained in a snarl. His tail would rise behind him, the tip of it failing limp from where it had been broken.

He clears his throat and this is the last time he will try to reason with them, they were trespassing and Briar would not have his home or family threatened, "She needs milk. The caverns are on the other side of Doutaini. She will not make it, she will die.", he offers, as if the child would care. He doubted it. He knew the caverns were near Divine and it was a journey for him. This child was fresh, the weather would kill her if the predators did not. "So you would all rather risk her life than let her stay here where it is warm and there are people here to care for it. It’s a newborn. What a wonderful mother indeed.”, he growled, he was growing rather impatient and mad that someone would rather a child die than allow it to grow some before they moved it. That wasn’t an option now, though. They had been rude and it was Meliae’s now. Foolish. He trembled with unchecked rage. Breathe. Breathe. ”You're trespassing now. ” He lingers on the words, perhaps they didn't know, but they would. If they hadn't been rude, they could have come and visit. If they had been smart, they'd leave. His eyes would flicker to the three, focusing on each easily. Memories engraving their packs and their faces into his mind. His words were serious, strangely slow and deliberate, calm. He surprised even himself with how calm and direct he was being when everything with him was usually a game. This was not. Threatening his home and a life was no game, not to Briar Vladu-Deimos, King of the Gaia and Kaede's wolves.

Briar & Aurelia VS Murmura, Ryu, & Artemis
for trespassing, endangering a child's life, to maim & throw out
move 00
ELEMENTS
SEVEN days to reply.
7 victories, 1 defeat, 1 draw.

""
BRIAR
background from Harbard1


Sarawaks Turn!

also, sorry for the slow reply, still in the process of switching states and stuff, it's exhausting. also sorry for the length, he mad

Aurelia

Briar's tail was broken and it hangs limp two inches from the tip.










Posted 03-16-2017, 02:32 PM |
Sarawak
Unregistered
,
in, lbs
ep
© 
SARAWAK HAZELPAW
{ don't hide yourself in regret }

Eyes peered down at her alpha, past his fur staring at the newborn he curled about. At that moment her whole body went numb, how did this come to be? Jaws opening once more to speak, she was wordless. Then they came. Charging in, with all sorts of ill voiced words.

Body turned so face the teenager who arrived and hollered about a stolen daughter. You poor thing, no one should have their children taken. She thought, but then her eyes met the girl's form and she realized she was just a pup herself. How could a pup give birth? She question, but there where all just thoughts. For the most part she just stood there motionless, wordless as she looked at the girl.

More of the pack arrived, then two other's arrived watching to fight. You're all crazy. Don't fight on top of the child. She hissed in her mind, as she narrowed her eyes, and readied herself for a coming battle. She wasn't trained for fighting, she was a hunter, a belly filler, not a warrior, but she would assist if needed too. Listening to all the words that flooded the area she became more protective over the child when she was claimed for Kaede. That settled it then, she was the Earth God's now. No way she would be handed over to the girl, to just fade and die before her time even began.

Shifting, Sarawak was drawn away from her thoughts when Briar spoke to her. Moving backwards she didn't turn her back from any of the children who where creating trouble there. She wasn't stupid. "Yes Briar." She said softly as she reached down to pick up the child gentle. Eyeing everyone around her for one last moment she moved to run away. Trusting the other earth members to watch her back as she turned away from the group. If able to get away, she would take the pup to her den. She had been working on the thing lately. The den within the rooted of a hollowed out old tree was bigger now, about to hold four adult wolves with ease as she had dug the hole and made it bigger.

Arriving there she would go into the deepest part of it and place the girl down, before curling around her protectively. "It is alright I got your sweetheart." She said gently her nose nuzzling at the child before she would stare at the entrance of her den.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Murmura. If I have my order right it should be Mur's turn.

In this post Sarawak listens to everyone before attempting to take the pup to her den for safety.


{ just love yourself and you're set }











Posted 03-16-2017, 06:10 PM |
Karousel
Unregistered
,
in, lbs
ep
© 
Home town girl in a city of lights
Sleeps all day and she plays all night
Takin' her turn on the merry-go-round
Hearing her laugh but it's a lonely sound


There was trouble in the air and howls from strangers within her land. She did not arrive in a rush; rather she was a shadow slipping in from the side. She was facing Artemis's side ( like so: -- | ); her mismatched eyes were narrowed and her tail raised dominantly behind her. Her ears pinned and her lips wrinkled back to reveal teeth up to the gum line. Her hackles were raised; muddy fur spiked and bristled as her head lowered to protect her throat and her weight balanced itself. Her limbs spread slightly; her muscles prepared to lunge but no words were spoken. Instead she relied on her body language and a sound far more primal and feral than words would ever be. It was a growl. A deep, thick, chest rumbling and soul vibrating growl that started off low and would grow in both volume and intensity the longer the three lingered. Right now they were not 'youths' in her eyes... they were enemies and she would show them no mercy despite their age if they continued to trespass. To threaten her Alpha and pack mates. Her Teachers. They alone held the knowledge of the magical powers she was just barely getting started on learning and she would NOT have her education interupted.

Briar & Aurelia & Karousel VS Murmura, Ryu, & Artemis
for trespassing; to maim & kill if they do not leave
move 0
7 day limit for replies
no spar history
Meso-Runner
95 pounds
31 inches










Posted 03-16-2017, 09:06 PM |
Murmura
Rogue Wolf
Female, 2.50
Endomorph
34 [a] in, 121 [a] lbs
85 ep
© Mkohy
REPLY COMING WITHIN THE NEXT 2 DAYS ( Having school trouble forgive me )










Posted 03-16-2017, 09:19 PM |
Wolf
Unregistered
,
in, lbs
ep
© 
Quick throwing her in her... since she's well here. Vital thread to her xD

She feels herself taken away from the pits, carried in the warmth of a stranger who puts her oddly at ease. She squirms every now and then as they run to the cover. She doesn't know where she is or whom she is with but she feels the energy in the air. And that soothes her. Little does she know that people are fighting for her. Or that she's been claimed under the care of another. She simple feels structure starting to form around her as she begins to become bound to the place she is. She doesn't know what home is — but perhaps whoever she is with will create that hole for her. Taken from her comfortable position she shifts. Crying (only for a second at the disruption) before settling down again as she curls into a ball. She's hungry - and needs the antibodies that milk would provide. How long after her birth could she really go without food?










Posted 03-18-2017, 05:49 PM |
Murmura
Rogue Wolf
Female, 2.50
Endomorph
34 [a] in, 121 [a] lbs
85 ep
© Mkohy
I HAVE ONLY SKIMMED THROUGH THE PREVIOUS POSTS, THIS IS JUST TO TIE THIS UP AS I'M QUITE BUSY WITH SCHOOL ATM IM SORRY IT'S TERRIBLE ILU


M U R M U R A

Her body shook in anger, but she tried to clam it as another came bearing Earth's disgusting gem. It caused her lips to crook in absolute distaste, but it vanished as Artemis came. Call it shocking, she didn't expect the girl to follow her. Damnit. Murmura didn't need to be responsible for another, especially an Ice wolf, she gave the girl, Artemis, a look, telling her to leave. Murmura knew she promised to help but she wouldn't have it when it came to this, especially now as more had gathered. Bitch. She wished to yell at her as she claimed the now stupid child as her own, only causing Murmura to seethe more. Murmura looked to Ryu, who had been there quite awhile now, before looking at Earth's growing numbers. I will not involve Enigma. She whispered to herself inside her head just as she let all her defenses fall, except for the fact that she now lowered her jaw over her throat, just in case, before glancing back to Ryu. "Fuck it, I'll bear my own children." She hissed, her eyes not leaving Ryu's ( if she caught them ) as she turned to make a hasty retreat.



MURMURA EXITS UNLESS STOPPED
"speak"

Ryu










Posted 03-19-2017, 06:31 PM |
Divine Intervention
GODLY
N/A, 11.00
----
x in, x lbs
Infinite ep
© Divinity


The heartbeat of the forests quicken. It begins as a shudder of the delicate ferns, easily shaken, then grows stronger, cradling tree trunks in the throes of intense energy, vines snapping, roots giving way and tilting, diagonals of action and thick, charcoal noise. Amongst the debris is a bear, clad in twisting flora. A creeper slithers up an arm, a honeysuckle twines itself, plaintively, along the muscle of his shoulder. They are all alive, twisting, blooming, dying, and the great bear blinks. As soon as it started, the cacophony is over, and he stands, savage and tangible. His verdant gaze, both eternal and venomous, following the foreign faces of Kurai's brood. The sharp lines of aggression jut along her features, but Kaede is still, in the way towering oaks demand reverence.

"SILENCE!" He roars, a guttural roar felt more in its echo than its imminent volume. Glistening, yellowed teeth are bared, his battle mask a writhe of wrinkles and emotion. "Do you not see the child weep? To spill blood over a child ... Kurai's brood have stooped lower than I have thought." His lip curls at the pale enigma wench, and he stiffens, as if wanting to charge, but he remains still, wearing his disapproval like battle armour. Even as she turns to leave his forest, his gaze never strays from Murmura's form. He would be sure she'd leave.

"I claim that child into the Gaia, myself." His broad head turns slowly to the intruders, and he breathes, "Now flee. I can promise you, the next time you so impudently trespass and lay claim to a child that is not yours, you will face a heavier consequence." The tirade hangs heavy and thick in the pregnant silence. The bear lets it build, before slinking away, each step firm, all sinew and muscle and rippling strength. He's consumed by the shadows more quickly then anybody ought to expect.

Image by ucumari on flickr. Edited by tig.










Posted 03-20-2017, 06:28 PM |
Earth
Wærnyss
Earth Healer
Female, 3.75
Meso-runner
28 in, 90 lbs
106 ep
© Jamie


Danger…

There was tension in the trees. They rustled with trembling limbs, leaves shaking in the foul winds of the oncoming storm. Beneath her tender feet, the forest nymph felt their despair; with a single breath, a moment of clarity, the woman could feel their words pour into her open soul. The wolves of the Gaia were unsettled…angry. The disturbance splintered like a bough across her back. She bore the pain of a dozen beatings, held the insults from a poisonous, abusive tongue, remembered the nights of pityingly empty solitude. And yet, nothing had ever felt as wrong as this. As though she was an extension of the jungle itself, Wærnyss melted into the underbrush, reappearing where Briar’s hasty voice had called her. But she was a cautious creature, her pace slowed by the fear of what she might find at the other end of that desperate voice. Hesitation laced her silent steps, silken fur camouflaged by remnants of vines and the pungent aroma of herbs. Her alpha needed her quickly, and now…now she could see why his demand was so great.

But when she arrived, the sight confirmed her darkening fears. Poised for battle, her brother and his mother faced off against the ghostly form of Enigma and her fellow youth. Sarawak and Meliae were attempting to protect a tiny, helpless bundle—an infant, innocent beyond all worldly things. The tiny, pale creature was the source of this conflict, yet she held no voice—no power to determine her own fate. And then, Karousel raised her hackles in defiance of the strangers. Wærnyss’ eyes, glossed with tears like a spring field coated in fog, narrowed against the budding ache in her chest. How…how can they fight over a child, claim a child, as though they have any right? Memories of her abduction leapt to the fore of her mind. One day, she was traipsing along the cliffs, searching for plants; the next moment, she was clasped in the yellowed fangs of the bandit, claimed against her will. Oh, how those awful promises haunted her dreams, for so long…so long…

You’re mine now, dearie. You belong to me.

The nymph’s lips parted in helplessness, in distress, in denial. No, she had to stop this madness! And then: Wærnyss gasped, eyes wavering and ears flattening firmly against her skull. Her energy, so in tune with the wavelength of the Gaia, spiked like a flash of lightning—surged through her limbs and vessels with overwhelming power. As soon as the woman could focus her vision, she saw him: a giant bear, dressed in the life cycles of vines and flowers, the one who bore life and death in his flesh. His command was undeniable; she remained frozen where she stood, unable to tear her gaze away…though, she wouldn’t have wanted to. It was him, Kaede, the Earth God who placed faith in her heart the moment she was born. Or…so she believed. Hadn’t he always been the god for her? Hadn’t she always loved the flora, cared for it, spoken to it? Hadn’t the Temple become her home within moments, her place of reverence? Surely, surely his words could soothe her conflict with ease.

But, as the great bear spoke, Wærnyss realized with horror that he did not soothe her. Instead, the conflict within her grew, brandishing agony like a bed of thorns, duplicating like ever-creeping ivy. Her brow furrowed, confusion written across the lovely, cinnamon-speckled lines of her face. Beneath her, her legs shook violently—a once sturdy foundation crumbled to ruin. She could hide no longer. She stumbled from the place where she’d observed the whole catastrophe, though even such a heavy motion was softened by her natural grace. Her god was gone, disappearing before she could face him…but he was not what she had expected. And so, her ruthless gaze was rapt upon her brother, her alpha. He was the man who would bear first witness to her pleas for reason.

“You c…claim the child. She claims the child.” Her delicate head nodded indicatively in Meliae’s direction. They claim the child… And he…Kaede…claims the child. But who, who has the right to lay claim on another living being? She’s an infant, helpless…she can’t speak for herself. She needs protected, yes. But for this reason, it is even more despicable to claim her! She cannot choose her fate, yet you pass her around like a totem while she cries for food. Does Earth have any new mothers? Does Earth have any wolves producing milk who can save her?” Wærnyss’ eyes returned to Briar’s face, challenging him. She hoped the answer was “yes,” but to her knowledge, the child could not survive with any of these females…not unless they began producing milk. She knew she could not care for the newborn, no matter how dearly she wanted to save its life. A thought occurred to her, that they could find a timid goat to lend its milk…but the idea was just as far-fetched as getting the child across the breadth of Doutaini. The woman shook her head, depression wrapping its cold arms tightly around her small frame. Tears streamed down her cheeks, and for a moment, she could not lift her head. But the memories of Axelle drove her passion. Suddenly, she turned her visage to the treetops, her brusque voice ringing with the audacity of a hundred church bells.

“I thought you were my god! I thought I belonged here, where life is precious above all else! I…I thought there could be one safeguard in this world, against all the violence and tragedy… But you laid claim to the child just the same as the others… You threatened punishment because they were passionate.” She felt her throat thickening with emotion. “Why does it matter who threatened violence first? It is all the same. No one is in the right.” For the first time in months, doubt enveloped the woodland creature, as heavy as the gem ‘round her neck now felt. She wondered if she made the right decision joining Earth. She wondered if she belonged here, or anywhere…or if a peaceful home was merely a figment of her imagination. She realized that she didn’t know what her god truly stood for, if he protected the ideals that meant something to her. It rendered a gaping hole in her chest, and suddenly, she was…empty.

Wærnyss stood there, and cried.

Wærnyss is not my main character, so replies with her will be very delayed. Apologies in advance!










Pages (2): 1 2 Next »